What is Mucormycosis or Black Fungus
Mucormycosis, also known as black fungus, is a rare but dangerous fungal infection. It is caused by a group of molds called mucormycetes and often affect sinuses, lungs, skin and brain. You can inhale the mold spores or come in contact with them in things like soil,rotting produce or bread, or compost piles.
Mucormycosis / Black Fungus has suddenly become famous due to Covid-19. Covid-19 patients who have received steroids are particularly at risk because steroids suppress the immune system. This is why steroids should not be used unless absolutely indicated.
Who is at Risk?
- Can happen at any age
- Diabetes(uncontrolled/steroid induced)
- Organ transplant
- Long term steroid use
- Bad health from poor nutrition
- Skin injury: burn,cut,wound
Important: Mucormycosis is not contagious
Symptoms of Mucormycosis
Symptoms will depend on where in your body the fungus is growing. They may include:
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling on one side of your face
- Black lesion on the bridge of your nose or inside of your mouth.
- Abdominal pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Blood in the stool
If your skin is infected,the area can look blistered,red,swollen. It might turn black or feel warm or painful. The infection can also spread to other parts of your body through the blood. In severe cases one can develop mental health issues, including coma.
- Educate society about the disease.
- Covid-19 recovered patients should be advised to remain indoors untill they regain their natural strength and immunity.
- Stay away from areas with a lot of dust or soil,like construction or excavation sites.
- Wear a face mask
- Avoid infected water
- If you have weakened immune system, avoid activities that involve dust and soil, like gardening
- Protect your skin with shoes, gloves,long sleeves.
- Wash cuts or scrapes with soaps and water as soon as you can
- Keep blood sugar under check covid or no covid
- Avoid self-medication of Steroid as Covid treatment
- Use clean water in humidifier used for oxygen support